GAFE Illinois Summit
Design Spaces for Learning: Exploring Physical and Virtual Learning Areas with Chris Johnson and Christian Long
Developing the Design Mind: An Introduction to Design Thinking w/Christian Long and Laura Deisley
IDEA EXCHANGE: BYO and One-to-One Panel (moderator)
Leaders and Learning Spaces (Workshop)
Learning at the Speed of Technology (workshop)
Life on the Screen (Workshop)
Life on the Screen (Presentation)
What If The Story Changed? (K12 Online Conference)
What If? (Educon Workshop)
What If? (Presentation)
Understanding Google Chrome and Drive
A learning session on an Internet browser? You bet. Chrome is not your typical Internet application. In this session, learn how to install apps and extensions into Chrome to increase productivity and support learning. We'll explore how to share all of this across your devices through the Google cloud. Additionally, you'll learn how to install apps in Google Drive, further extending the way in which learners can connect through Google. You've probably started to use Chrome, now learn how to make it a true platform that supports Google Apps, and delivers the Web, software and extremely useful productivity tools, across devices, all in the service of learning.
Themes: for your consideration:
- How can you extend your use of Google?
- How does the Google platform, supported by Google Chrome, fit into BYOD and 1:1 initiatives?
- How do Chrome and Drive work across a multiple device ecosystem?
- How does Chrome and Drive support the anytime, anyplace, anywhere, any path learning trajectories needed for today's learners?
Session Overview: Understanding the Google Chrome Landscape
Applications and Extensions (not available on Nexus 7 and Android devices, no access to ChromeStore)
- Google Chrome Webstore
- Installing apps and extensions
- Chrome settings
- Incognito windows, history, signing in and settings
- checking extensions: enter chrome://extensions into the Omnibox
- Google Drive
- Installing apps into Drive
- Working with Drive apps | A demonstration
- Making files available offline
- Devices, 1:1, BYOD and Your Own Branded Chromestore | Learn about app packs for installation on Chrome devices
- Nexus 7: Sign in and access your tabs from other machines, including desktops and Chromebooks
- Extensions Manager | an extension to manage extensions, apps and updates
- Awesome Screenshot Tool | screen capture
- TabCloud | manage your tabs across computers
- The Black Menu | access everything Google
- goo.gl Web Shortener | make big Web addresses small
- Docs Quickly | instantly create a Doc, Spreadsheet, Presentation from the menu bar
- Evernote | clip to Evernote
- Diigo | save Web sites to Diigo
- CloudMagic |search across Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, Evernote at the same time
- Save as PDF | create pdfs from Web pages
- Google Dictionary | hilite a term on a Web page, get definition
- Evernote Clearly | strip away the excess ads and other garbage from Web content.
- Omni Image Search | Search images from the Google image search, type Drive into the omnibox and hit the space bar.
- Omni Drive | Search your Google Drive from the Omnibox, type img into the omnibox and press tab.
- Too Many Tabs | another tab manager
- Flickr CC Attribution Helper | puts an HTML code of the Flicker license as well as a text string for attributing, on Flickr images, created by @cogdog
- Contact Search Menu | configure your own set of search engines accessible by a right click after you hilite a word on the Web. Super useful.
- Open Attribute | provides attribution information from an icon in the omnibox for those resources that are Creative Commons licensed.
- Chrome Toolbox | access all the hidden settings of the Chrome browser from the extensions ribbon
- Hover Zoom | hover over an image from a search and it will expand to its largest size, save an image directly from Hover Zoom.
- Clipboard | clips any type of content from a page to your own Clipper page. Really pretty cool, create your own clip library with a page at Clipper.com
- AppJumper | categorize your apps and access them through the extension ribbon
- Chrome to Phone | send a resource from your Chrome browser to your phone
- Clearly | Clearly makes blog posts, articles and webpages clean and easy to read. Save them to Evernote to read anywhere.
- InstaTwit | display Instagram photos in your twitter feed
- ScoopIt | extension for curating content into your Scoop.it account
- Pocket | send content into your Pocket account for later reading
- Save to Drive | send Web pages and images directly to your drive account.
- Chrome Notepad | a very simple notepad extension for Chrome that can sync notes to all Chrome browsers on your devicea very simple notepad extension for Chrome that can sync notes to all your Chrome installations
- Picasa Extension | provides access to albums and comments associated with the Google account you are logged in with.
- Twitter for Chrome | access your Twitter account
- Facebook for Chrome | access your Facebook account
- Smooth Gestures | control chrome through mouse gestures
- Kindle Cloud App | access your Amazon library, use this to read across devices, download books for offline reading.
- Quick Note | take notes, synch with a Diigo account
- pixlr Editor | full graphics package
- pixlr Express | tool for quick edits
- Sheets | opens a Google Spreadsheet
- Slides | opens a Google presentation
- Docs | opens a Google Doc
- Soundcloud |record audio, make podcasts
- Screenr |record screencasts
- Sliderocket EDU | create presentations
- Pocket | save important resources for later writing
- Mindmeister | flow charting
- Mindjet | flow charting
- Catch Notes | capture notes, attach screenshots and photos, etc.
- Google+ | Googles Social network, including events, hangouts, circles and communities
Drive Applications: share applications across the cloud through Drive. Share just like in Google Docs
How to get there: Chrome Webstore>Collections>Google Drive
- Magisto | make videos
- LucidChart for Education| flow charts and diagrams, education account = features of premium account | LucidChart demo
- Smartsheet | project management
- WeVideo | create videos in the Cloud
- Powtoon | create animated videos